Saturday, February 6, 2016

300 Writing Prompts #2

What is your favorite work of art? What do you love about it?

My favorite work of art is my favorite album, Nirvana's In Utero I remember when the single "All Apologies" came out on radio. This was back in the day when I used to record the radio via tape. I actually miss those days. I played that song over and over and I wanted the album. I'll never forget the day we were at Wal-Mart and my Mother asked the store clerk if "this" was appropriate for children. I held my breath and clenched my fists as I waited for a reply from the Clerk. "Yes, it is inappropriate for children." I still can't believe the guy said that all these years later. But maybe that plays into my appreciation of the album. The desire I had to have that album was now even greater thanks to the Square Clerk at Wal-Mart.

The album is just so raw. The techniques Steve Albini used to record are a work of art themselves. There's no album in my opinion  that rivals the sound of Dave's drums on In Utereo (the intro to "Scentless Apprentice" creates an orgasm in the earhole). I've owned the album at least 5 times and I'll always listen to it and it will I'm sure always be my favorite. It's just an album unlike any other. It really makes you wonder what was in store for this band. But I guess you can't go out with a better album.

No comments:

Post a Comment